Re: Update on power steering and stalling

Hi Rus:

At 08:56 PM 11/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok i adjusted my idle valve and now its set at about 1050 rpm.  This is also
>good cause my engine doesn't rattle that much (i assume i'll need side engine
>mounts..)

Here's some info on mounts:

Front motor mount, German, $2.50

Front motor mount, Techtonics H/D, $14.00. THis is a harder rubber
mount and NOT a urethane mount. Urethane mounts are typically too
hard for street use and transmit too much vibration. The TT mount limits
engine movement and increases exhaust life with hardly a change
in vibrations transmitted into the car.

Passenger side motor mount, German, $19.00. This is the latest design
heavy duty mount, the best factory mount available (there have been
several changes and compounds over the years).

Passenger side mount, Brazil, $9.00.

Rear mount, German, $21.00

Rear mount, Brazil, $9.00.

Motor mount, driver's side (at end of trans), German, $18.00

Motor mount, driver's side, Brazil, $8.00

I do not recommend urethane engine mounts for the street.

>When i turn my steering wheel waaaayy over to either lock (all the way right
>or left) i hear a strange hissing/weird sound and my rps's drop like 400-500.
> This is at idle, when im puling out af a parking space. Does anyone have any
>ideas? Power steeing pump?? anything?

That's pretty normal when you have the steering turned all the way against
either lock. It's the hydraulic system straining to keep moving the rack
but the rack has hit the end of it's travel. The hissing you hear is a
pressure bypass valve operating. The hissing stops if you back off a tiny
bit after turning all the way to either stop, right?

Mark
Adirondack Auto Brokers
"Your VW/Porsche Parts Source"
Phone (518) 882-6534