Re:Installing stereo - crutchdfield??

On 4 Nov 1996 coutinho.ka@pg.com wrote:

> hmm, what/where is Crutchdfield?  I will (hopefully) be buying a new stereo
> sometime over the next 2 weeks, would be helpful to get a harness.

I don't think this is necessary. I believe all radios come with harnesses
nowadays. I bought a Blaupunkt from Damark and installed it last night.
It took me less than 2 hours, all the connections were straightforward.
The radio came with a lovely harness that plugs to the back of the unit.

Ilias

ps: only problem is that with most new radios you just can't play the
radio/tape completely independently of the car's operation. My stock
radio was internally wired so that its own power switch actually let
power in from the battery. Most new radios let power in through external
switches (ie, accessory lights, ignition) and so if you want to have it
play when the car is parked and with no internal lights on, you have to
install an external toggle switch, flip that first, and then power goes
to the radio.
You could wire new radios straight to the battery, but then you would be
sucking battery power to keep the radio lights on, which could mean
trouble if you let the car sit for a few days.