Re: Ahh paint Jobs...

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 Mute0@aol.com wrote:

> >Seriously, I used to do custom paint work (no more) and was always
> >amazed at how they could possible paint a car for the prices they
> >advertised. The most important factor is prep work, and assuming you
> >have a car with a perfect body that you just want the color changed on
> >you're looking at at least a day or so of labor to prep it right (removing
> >trim, lights and  rubber rather than masking, prepping door jambs, etc).
> >I always used top quality paint and could easily go through $500 in
> >materials on a VW.
>
> I know that the guy i talked about who got the decent $500 job removed all
> his trim/lights/etc and masked some things.  Maaco painted somthing wrong,
> then he yelled at them and they did it again.
> Its all kinda shady if you ask me.  Anyway what should i check for while
> looking for a good paint job?

     Some shops have books with paintjobs they have done for customers.
  It also helps to know how much experience the painters and bodymen have
  under their belt.  I would even suggest going to some local aftermarket
  shops and ask them who do they recommend cuz you know that many people
  with painted cars come to them for whhels/tires etc...

     Andre'