Re: Ahh paint Jobs...

At 09:17 PM 11/3/96 -0500, you wrote:

>The only person ive talked to about this is my friend with an 88 16v who got
>it painted red again from macco.  He payed $550 and I was really supprised at
>how good it was.  Anyway do any of you have any comments regarding paint

"Uh-oh, better stay away from Maaco...."

Seriously, I used to do custom paint work (no more) and was always
amazed at how they could possible paint a car for the prices they
advertised. The most important factor is prep work, and assuming you
have a car with a perfect body that you just want the color changed on
you're looking at at least a day or so of labor to prep it right (removing
trim, lights and  rubber rather than masking, prepping door jambs, etc).
I always used top quality paint and could easily go through $500 in
materials on a VW.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you get what you pay for in this
case. $550 will get you shoddy prep work and cheap paint. There's
no way around that.

Just my $.02 - you asked!

Mark Davison
Adirondack Auto Brokers