Re: Ahh paint Jobs...

At 10:37 PM 11/3/96 -0800, you wrote:

>    First off all, I wouldnt go to macco to get your rocco painted.  It
>  may be that your friend got a good job, now, but what about in 2 or 3
>  years.  I have heard too many bad stories about macco complete paint
>  jobs, enought that I wouldnt want to go there.  I believe that my 79
>  rocco was painted there cuz the paint just started getting all nargly
>  after I bought the car, chipping, flacking
etc.................................

True! What I also meant to say was to go around to about 5 different shops
and get estimates on prices. I was suprised as to what they wanted to paint
my car. The biggest estimate was $5,200! Shop around and if you autox, see
if they will sponsor you. it saved me some bank!

>  I am in the process
>  of doing all of the sanding, bodywork, and primering of which if you do
>  yourself you can save at least 1 or 2 thousand off the job, of course
>  this will take you lots of time as it did me, (school kinda got in the
>  way), but you can often do stuff to your liking.  I hope to get mine
>  painted in the next few weeks here.

True! Doing the body prep takes the biggest amount of the cost out of the
job. Just remember to take your time and not rush the prep. This will pay
off big time when your done and youve wet sanded it 4 or 5 times. The final
product will make you proud.

>  As to the different color change,
>  I would only be interested in getting the doors and the jambs paited as
>  well.  I wouldnt worry about the engine compartment or the interior.
>  Who the hell can see that anyway when your car is going down the road.

This is a matter of opinion. *I* see under the hood all the time and *I*
wanted it painted. Especially since theres a crowd around my car after my
runs at the track. (Me myself & I)          :)
Its all a matter of preference.

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi