Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

At 05:50 PM 11/3/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Yes, but think about it; it doesn't make a difference if your speedometer
>is *way* off because of tire sizes... (I made this mistake in my thinking
>too until I realized my mistake) Let's say you have *really* large
>tires/wheels and you're going 90 when your speedometer says 80. You're still
>going to have the same rpm in a given gear as if you had really small tires
>and your speedometer/tachometer is high... You only have gearbox ratios
>to take into consideration with speedometer/tachometer comparisions... Sure,
>larger tires will affect your top speed for better or worse depending on
>ratios (whether you're rpm or horsepower limited) and hurt acceleration...

Let me see if I can clear up some of your thoughts.
The gearing in the car will indicate 80 mph if the tire size (the diameter
of the tire) is the exact size as was calculated for actual speed. So,
Having said that, indicated speed of 80 will be 80. If you reduce the size
of the wheel, (im talking total diameter, it doesnt matter which size wheel
is on the car as long as the overall diameter is the same.) your indicated
speed will be higher than actual speed. If you put on a larger diameter
tire, indicated speed will be less than actual speed. All the different size
tire does is change the final absolute ratio. It will also give you a false
reading of your actual speed. YSWV.

Shawn