Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

At 05:50 PM 11/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Chris Taylor wrote:
>
>> >If I put it in 3rd and floor it, I hot about 75MPH@6000RPMS and the car cuts
>> >out just like hitting the rev limiter. Shouldn't the revlimiter be at
>> >7200RPMs or so? Also I could have sworn I used to hit ~88-90MPH at redline
>> >in 3rd gear. Maybe I was fooling myself or something?
>>
>> No, I hit 85mph in third on a regular basis.  90 if I push it.  Only hit my
>> rev limiter once
>>
>> >Also I think my speedo reads a little fast since I have 15" wheels on
the car.

>> That makes a very LITTLE difference.  Like none.  I've got 'em too.  bigger
>> rims, thinner tires.  IT's close.
>
>Yes, but think about it; it doesn't make a difference if your speedometer
>is *way* off because of tire sizes... (I made this mistake in my thinking
>too until I realized my mistake) Let's say you have *really* large
>tires/wheels and you're going 90 when your speedometer says 80. You're still
>going to have the same rpm in a given gear as if you had really small tires
>and your speedometer/tachometer is high...

Yes, I realize that, too.  I was under the impression that he was just
changing the subject when he went into his tire/speedo comment.  I didn't
think he was blaming the problem on his tires.

> You only have gearbox ratios
>to take into consideration with speedometer/tachometer comparisions... Sure,
>larger tires will affect your top speed for better or worse depending on
>ratios (whether you're rpm or horsepower limited) and hurt acceleration...

Yes, they can get you up a little higher theoretically, but my 15'' MSW's,
w/ 195/15/50ZR's on them are literally 2 or 3 times heavier than my friends
stock 13'' rims w/ autox tires.  That can take some off the top speed and
acceleration.  Also, my friend's 8v used to level off around 117~118 mph.
Then he got new tires, slightly fatter, and now has trouble getting past
111mph.

Just a tidbit.
Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco