Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Chris Taylor wrote:

> >If I put it in 3rd and floor it, I hot about 75MPH@6000RPMS and the car cuts
> >out just like hitting the rev limiter. Shouldn't the revlimiter be at
> >7200RPMs or so? Also I could have sworn I used to hit ~88-90MPH at redline
> >in 3rd gear. Maybe I was fooling myself or something?
>
> No, I hit 85mph in third on a regular basis.  90 if I push it.  Only hit my
> rev limiter once
>
> >Also I think my speedo reads a little fast since I have 15" wheels on the car.
>
> That makes a very LITTLE difference.  Like none.  I've got 'em too.  bigger
> rims, thinner tires.  IT's close.

Yes, but think about it; it doesn't make a difference if your speedometer
is *way* off because of tire sizes... (I made this mistake in my thinking
too until I realized my mistake) Let's say you have *really* large
tires/wheels and you're going 90 when your speedometer says 80. You're still
going to have the same rpm in a given gear as if you had really small tires
and your speedometer/tachometer is high... You only have gearbox ratios
to take into consideration with speedometer/tachometer comparisions... Sure,
larger tires will affect your top speed for better or worse depending on
ratios (whether you're rpm or horsepower limited) and hurt acceleration...

John K. Gates, UNIX Systems Administrator/Software Engineer
john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~john