Big Valve Heads

Folks,

This is my first entry here so, please forgive me if I am breaking
etiquette by changing topics.

Looking to upgrade the head on my '86 Scirocco 8V JH solid lifter engine.
I've got (and satisfied with) the TT dual outlet exhaust and g-grind cam.
I've heard the Golf GTI (or Rabbit GTI?) is quite similar as far as
the engines go however, I think these GTIs have a better head and if
so, are they a direct bolt on.

I understand compression may come into play and, prepared to go with
electronic ignition from the current vacuum advance.

The engine has just over 250k and seems to be running just fine although
the valves have not been adjusted for over 100k (would this make a diff?).
There's the 2 litre but, too expensive and, there's the Audi engine from
the wrecker which would cost a fortune to have installed let alone tuned
properly.

Looking for best bang for my 4 banger on a budget,

Matt