Tires & Such

hello all,
I just finished replacing the front strut inserts on my car and damn it
feels so much better than the old struts.  First question, I redid the
strut and when finally tightening down the top strut (till it bottomed
out and will not by the laws of physics tighten anymore), I noticed
there was still some play with the top strut bearing (they are brand new
so it is not the bearing).  Is this normal, how do I fix it?  Second
thing, while working I noticed that I needed new front tires.  I want to
get a tire that will be good in all weather (I get some snow, not much)
but at the same time will perform.  I would rather loose some all season
ability over better performance.  Also, I'm not looking to spend an arm
and a leg.  Any help???  I've got an 80 Scirocco S with the stock
wheels.

John
80 Scirocco S