Re: starter probs

At 06:53 AM 12/17/96 +0800, you wrote:
>I got in my car this morning and started it up...... no prob.  Then
>it stalled (not unusual since it got down in the low 20's) so I
>turned off the ignition to restart.  Turn the key .... nothing.  But
>I hear this strange noise from under the hood.  The damn starters
>sitting there spinning!  So I yank the battery terminal off to get it
>to stop.  Slide it back on and she's spinning again.  So I get the
>trusty Bentley's out and see that terminal 50 is for the ignition
>switch.  I take it off, hook the battery back up and it's still
>spinning.  (BTW, all this spinning is happening without the starter
>engaging the flywheel, in case you were wondering.)

So the motor is freewheeling EVEN after you turn the key off? Sounds
like 2 problems to me. Sounds like the solenoid forgot to sol a few
noids and your ignition switch is bad too. Did you have any idea this
was gonna happen? Any partial workings of the starter in the past or
did it always just start right up?
It could be a bad connection on your starter. Check that out also.

>All this tells me that I need a new solenoid.  I know most of the
>list members are at work, but I'm wondering if it's gonna be a big
>deal to get a solenoid, or if everyone (ie, dealer) is gonna tell me
>I need a whole starter.  If that's the case, I will probably just go
>to a junkyard.  I have about an hour before I take my GF to work and
>start looking for parts (it's 6:45 am here), so I'm hoping maybe I'll
>get a little feedback before I leave.

Id say call around and see if they're available and for how much. Any
import parts house should have the solenoid you need. You could always
take it to Chief, they test starters for free.
Sorry if this too little, too late...

Shawn