Re: starter probs

On 17 Dec 96 at 11:10, Shawn C. Meze wrote:

> So the motor is freewheeling EVEN after you turn the key off? Sounds
> like 2 problems to me. Sounds like the solenoid forgot to sol a few
> noids and your ignition switch is bad too. Did you have any idea
> this was gonna happen? Any partial workings of the starter in the
> past or did it always just start right up? It could be a bad
> connection on your starter. Check that out also.

I disagree with the notion that the ignition switch was bad, due to
the fact that I had removed terminal 50, which is the connection to
the switch.  It still had the problem.  I'm convinced it was the
solenoid.

There was no prior problem with the starter.  This is the first time
it ever did anything out of the ordinary.

> Id say call around and see if they're available and for how much.
> Any import parts house should have the solenoid you need. You could
> always take it to Chief, they test starters for free. Sorry if this
> too little, too late...

Who's Chief?????

Anyway, after letting it sit for about 1 1/2 hours, I reconnected the
battery and the starter didn't start it's infernal spinning.  So I
hooked up good old terminal 50 and hit the key......started right up.
I turned it off and restarted several times with no problem.  So I
said, f**k it and drove it to work.  It worked normally all day.  My
guess is that the spinning heated it up and also the ambient (love
that word!) temperature rose a few degrees.  I'm thinking it was
something related to the cold affecting the solenoid.  I'm nervously
anticipating tomorrow morning, as it's supposed to be cold again
tonight.  In fact, I parked it where I can just coast it downhill and
start it.  Of course, if I try starting it normally and the starter keeps
spinning again, I'll have to let it sit a while before going to work again.
Decisions, decisions...................

I'm sure I should replace the solenoid, and intend to check around
for one to install this weekend.  Anyone want to start a pool to see
if I get bit in the ass till then?  "Rocco roulette ........... HAHAHA !!