Re: starter probs

At 08:41 PM 12/17/96 +0800, you wrote:
>I disagree with the notion that the ignition switch was bad, due to
>the fact that I had removed terminal 50, which is the connection to
>the switch.  It still had the problem.  I'm convinced it was the
>solenoid.

Oh, you removed terminal 50, oh. What the hell is that? :) Im guessing
it was something to do with the ignition switch so therefore you had no
power to the switch, so how could it be the one supplying the power.
Well good, im glad I was wrong. But there remains a problem of how the
starter was getting continuous power to run the motor. Even tho it was
off, something shorted to the starter motor to let it run like it did.
When you turned off the key, it stopped spinning?

>There was no prior problem with the starter.  This is the first time
>it ever did anything out of the ordinary.

I hate suprise problems like that. Especially when im off ot go
somewhere important.

>Who's Chief?????

Thats that indian dude with all the feathers......... Oh, "Chief
Autoparts", you dont have them up your way? How about "Checker"? I
think the same people own Checker too.

>Anyway, after letting it sit for about 1 1/2 hours, I reconnected the
>battery and the starter didn't start it's infernal spinning.  So I
>hooked up good old terminal 50 and hit the key......started right up.
>I turned it off and restarted several times with no problem.  So I
>said, f**k it and drove it to work.  It worked normally all day.  My
>guess is that the spinning heated it up and also the ambient (love
>that word!) temperature rose a few degrees.  I'm thinking it was
>something related to the cold affecting the solenoid.  I'm nervously
>anticipating tomorrow morning, as it's supposed to be cold again
>tonight.  In fact, I parked it where I can just coast it downhill and
>start it.  Of course, if I try starting it normally and the starter
keeps
>spinning again, I'll have to let it sit a while before going to work
again.
>Decisions, decisions...................

I bet this one of those once in a million happenings. I bet you cant do
it again!! I betcha!

>I'm sure I should replace the solenoid, and intend to check around
>for one to install this weekend.  Anyone want to start a pool to see
>if I get bit in the ass till then?  "Rocco roulette ........... HAHAHA
!!

I got dibbs on friday morning. You will be running a little late and it
will strike then!
Hey, you put that clutch in yet?? :)

Shawn