Re: New here

At 03:14 PM 12/16/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi I am new here.  Let me say That I love watercooled VW's. I presently
>own an '87 Jetta which I hope to start to modify in the spring when I
>finish college. Any sugesstions would be appreciated ( Yes I would buy a
>scirocco IF i could find a good one where I live ) I would like any info
>on this :  My Jetta is an unfortunate Automatic ( hey I got it for $500 )
>What is involved in swtiching to a manual tranny?? Is it worth it? ( Of
>course but I mean time/effort ) any info is greatly appreciated
>
>Thanks
>Dave

Dave, this isnt a rag on Jettas (I have one too) but you are better off selling
it and getting something with the basics like 5sp and something that doesnt have
the digefant fuel system. If you like Jettas and want to make a fun car out of
one, you will want to get an 85-86 Jetta. They have the CIS-e systems and much
better than the later fuel systems. It all depends on what it is you want out of
a car.
The amount of money and work involved in swapping over your auto tranny to a 5
speed isnt worth it. Im sure you could clean up your Jetta and get more than $500
for it. Get yourself a used Scirocco so you can really appreciate the performance
world of VW's!
Welcome to the list!

Shawn