Re: Re[2]: Varying Idle speed

On 22 Aug 1996 coutinho.ka@pg.com wrote:

>         I currently have the same problem with my '86 8V Scirocco.  The
> frequency of the variation in idlespeed is not constant but it happens
> everyday, all the time.  It jumps between 1000 and 750, just as Sean
> had mentioned.
>
>         I don't know if you guys had the same problem but another thing that
> happens is every morning when I start it up it seems to run on 3 cylinders
> for a few seconds or sometimes even a minute, kinda like it's not firing
> all 4.  Then if I rev it or wait for a minute it settles down.  Any ideas?

I'm having a similar problem with warm starts. The car runs strong, but if
I start it hot it runs on three for about 5 seconds and then clears up..
I'm running new Bosch Platinum plugs, new distrib. cap & rotor.. I show a
really strong spark on all four... Could this be a messed fuel injector? This
is regarding my '85 8v...

Also, has anyone ever seen a problem that breaks plugs? (Other than little
pieces of broken valves floating around after the timing belt breaks on the
16v's) Upon replacing my plugs recently, I pulled #2 out and found half the
porcelain insulator around the center electrode gone and the electrode itself
bent over about a millimeter.. I have one hydraulic valve that is a little
noisy; perhaps a valve is not opening properly?

John K. Gates, UNIX Systems Administrator/Software Engineer
john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~john