Re: 1986 16V? Strange Differences

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Kevin McGrath wrote:

> Well there are a lot of strange things about VWs I guess. For
> instance. My roommate and I both have '87 16V Sciroccos. His has
> the 16V emblem on the glove box mine does not. His has a slightly
> better designed sunroof. It closes perfectly and the handle is
> obviously different. I think everything else is the same.
>
> Another strange thing I used to own an '84 GTI and it had openable
> vent windows. I now own an '84 GTI and the windows are not hinged.
> Very strange I thought at first the girl was trying to pull
> somethign over on me.
>
> I have seen several '86 16Vs forsale and they all looked like my 87.

I don't really know for sure where all Sciroccos were manufactured; I was
under the impression that they were all from Germany but could be wrong.
However, I know a lot of the other models were made in Germany/US and
now, of course, Mexico... Remember the rabbits with the round headlights
vs. the square being German vs. American? Perhaps this is the case with
the mentioned Scirocco and GTI?

John K. Gates, UNIX Systems Administrator/Software Engineer
john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~john