Re: Autocrossing a Scirocco I

<<  - but it leads to more questions... :-)  I called Ron's Parts
 looking for an engine and the fellow I spoke with strongly suggested getting
 a later 1.8l with hydraulic valves (JN?)...  Did that engine appear in any
 later Sciroccos? >>

NOPE! (And you really dont want a hydraulic head for autoxing anyways) JH and
EJ, EN code engines came in Scirocco's (8V category. If you choose a 16V that
came in later Scirocco's it will put you in a different class. Street
Modified me thinks) I think the EJ engine is a 1.6L.
The JH is the way to go for what your wanting to do.

>>What do you all think?
A) Go with 1.8l, compete in DSP, have much more power than I do now.

B) Go with 2.0l, probably get stuck in some ridiculous class (read: lots of
   last places) but have MUCH more power than I do now...

I haven't priced the 2.0l option yet, so it might be out of my range - Ron's
Parts quoted a 1.8l w/hydraulic valves at $450.<<

Id pick........ uhhhhhh..........hmmmm................well............ok.
      I pick:
_______A_______

Here is why I say this. That Scirocco (Street Modified car) I was telling you
about in the last posting ran 2 seconds behind RandyWltrz GTi (DSP Car). In
theory, Mikes Scirocco should kick Randy's butt everytime out, severely! (it
is oh-so-fast!) But he doesnt. Your better off sticking in a class that you
would be better off in, especially when it comes to learing how to drive your
car with the added power the JH engine gives you on the track. (Difference of
15 hp, whoo-hoo!!!
Instead of being full throttle all the way around the track, I had to learn
to feather the throttle. It's a noticable difference in power from the 1.7L
to the 1.8L.

Shawn