Re: Autocrossing a Scirocco I

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996 ShawnMeze1@aol.com wrote:

> Keep an eye in the up and comming issues of EC magazine. There will be an
<snip>

I'll definitly check it out.

> You can do whats called "Updating/backdating" to the car. The 1.8L JH engine
> came on later Scirocco's. So, as per the rules, you can install that engine
> and still run in a stock class. I run in DSP only because I have a
> freeflowing exhaust and intake tube mod to the car. The JH engine in your
> Scirocco should make it a screamer since your car is so light to begin with.
> To be competative, you will need to add swaybars front and rear, upper and
> lower stress bars and of course, a good set of autocross tires.
> Did this help?

Indeed it did - but it leads to more questions... :-)  I called Ron's Parts
looking for an engine and the fellow I spoke with strongly suggested getting
a later 1.8l with hydraulic valves (JN?)...  Did that engine appear in any
later Sciroccos?

What do you all think?
A) Go with 1.8l, compete in DSP, have much more power than I do now.

B) Go with 2.0l, probably get stuck in some ridiculous class (read: lots of
   last places) but have MUCH more power than I do now...

I haven't priced the 2.0l option yet, so it might be out of my range - Ron's
Parts quoted a 1.8l w/hydraulic valves at $450.

Kevin Wenzel - Director of Network Operations                   privateI, LLC
kwenzel@privateI.com                                Internet and Web Services
KB0MQM                        28.8 PPP/Shell Dialup and Private Port Accounts
                    ***  http://www.privateI.com/  ***