Re: Autocrossing a Scirocco I

<< Is there anyone here who autocrosses their Scirocco?  I'm trying to figure
 out how much leeway I have with the engine on an '81 (originally came with
 a 1.7l) - I take it installing a JH 1.8 will knock me completely out of
 anything I could possibly hope to be competitive in? >>

Keep an eye in the up and comming issues of EC magazine. There will be an
article called, "Autocrosser/grocerygetters", or something along these lines.
The 80 Scirocco that will be featured (Along with a trick 4 door golf) has
got a ton of mods. Everything her has done to the car puts him in competative
classes except fot the cam and bumpers, I believe. I will be driving it
tomorrow at the aotox in San Diego!
Anyways, his car is a good example of what you can do with a MK I Scirocco!

You can do whats called "Updating/backdating" to the car. The 1.8L JH engine
came on later Scirocco's. So, as per the rules, you can install that engine
and still run in a stock class. I run in DSP only because I have a
freeflowing exhaust and intake tube mod to the car. The JH engine in your
Scirocco should make it a screamer since your car is so light to begin with.
To be competative, you will need to add swaybars front and rear, upper and
lower stress bars and of course, a good set of autocross tires.
Did this help?

Shawn