Re: Exhaust/Manifold problems - 86 8V Scirocco

At 02:30 PM 7/31/95 -0400, scirocco-l@privateI.com wrote:
>Hi,

>- Is it a lot of work to replace the exhaust manifold?

I think it was Dan /Collins who just did this job.  You might want to check
with him in the newsgroup.  I have a file on this somewhere.  If you are
serious, email me and I will try to locate it.  Briefly, the nuts are
probably well rusted and what some have done is to use a socket smaller than
the size originally intended and tap it on with a hammer.  As I heard it,
the stud usually comes out instead of the nut coming off.  this is not a bad
thing.  gives you a chance to replace the studs.  If you have access to a
torch (not an ordinary propane one) you could try heating the nuts to cherry
red and then loosening them.  This was the method used to get exhaust pipes
out of the way when I worked in a transmission shop for a while.

Chris