Exhaust/Manifold problems - 86 8V Scirocco

Hi,

        From what a few mechanics told me I had a cracked exhaust manifold.
This was apparently a big deal to fix so I decided to put it off for later.
I now have a noisy exhaust as well.

        I have a few questions regarding this, wondering if someone could
help me out.

- What's the ballpark price of an exhaust manifold?

- Could it be the manifold gaskit that's gone, and not a cracked manifold?

- Is it a lot of work to replace the exhaust manifold?

- Was thinking of replacing the exhaust and putting in a techtonics or some
  other performance exhaust.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin.