Re: What do you think about this?

>At 12:32 AM 8/2/96 -0400, scirocco-l@privateI.com wrote:
>>
>>Hello Scirocco Fans,
>>        I just had some work done on my scirocco and my mechanic
>>tells me that the down pipe is broken around the flex coupling. I
>>have a few options.
>>
>>1. Do nothing, The car seems to run great now, but I am wondering
>>Am I giving up performance that I don't know I am losing. The car
>>seems fast to me but maybe I am not realizing the full potential?
>>It seems that I probobly should be losing performance.
>
>Do you really want that carbon monoxide exiting there?

Good point, I must confess that was stupid for me not to think
about that. Shouldn't I have noticed a loss in performance though?
My mechanic has always been good to me and I doubt he would lie.

>Why not keep the car to keep the air clean?  What year is your car?  One of
>the Scirocco manifolds (1984 for example is supposed to be one of the most
>restrictive.  If you have this one, the manifold and down pile from
>Techtonics will help you.)

Believe me I am all for clean air but I just don't have the 300+
dollars for the part plus labor costs. BTW I have an '87 16V
Scirocco. If we want clean air why not ride bikes.

>The stock manifold is a cast iron unit.  Headers are usually made up of 4
>individual tubes, one coming from each exhaust port.  According to the
>Techtonic literaure (which you should get immediately to help you decide
>which parts will help you and which parts are sold on hype alone) a header
>will give marginally more power than a good stock header.  The downside is
>that they are a bit louder, are thiner and therefore tend to crack or rust
>and need more frequent replacement and some say they let more heat pass into
>the car interior, a comfort item.  TT doesn't think the headers are really
>worth it, unless you are racing and need that little extra bit of power.

You say a header will give me marginally more power than a stock
header what do you mean here. A header is better than stock? ALso
as for the loudness thats OK This is my fun car with an '84 GTI
being my work everyday car. As for the extra heat same thing. Rust
well I live in SC where it snows once about every 3 years and they
never heard of road salt.

I did get a TT catalog sent to me is the exhause info included in
there? I hope so and I really wish more Companys had catalogs it is
hard to decide what you want to get from small ads in EC.

Thanks for your help and I am looking foward to getting that
catalog.

--

    Happiness is a warm Killfile.