Re: What do you think about this?

At 04:09 AM 8/3/96 -0400, scirocco-l@privateI.com wrote:
>>At 12:32 AM 8/2/96 -0400, scirocco-l@privateI.com wrote:

(snippage)

>Believe me I am all for clean air but I just don't have the 300+
>dollars for the part plus labor costs. BTW I have an '87 16V
>Scirocco. If we want clean air why not ride bikes.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kevin,

Good suggestion.  Also stop cutting the grass.  I have heard it said that a
*lawnmower* causes more pollution that 10 cars or something like that.  (I
don't have an authoritative source for that tidbit.)

>>The stock manifold is a cast iron unit.  Headers are usually made up of 4
>>individual tubes, one coming from each exhaust port.  According to the
>>Techtonic literaure (which you should get immediately to help you decide
>>which parts will help you and which parts are sold on hype alone) a header
>>will give marginally more power than a good stock header.  The downside is
>>that they are a bit louder, are thiner and therefore tend to crack or rust
>>and need more frequent replacement and some say they let more heat pass into
>>the car interior, a comfort item.  TT doesn't think the headers are really
>>worth it, unless you are racing and need that little extra bit of power.
>
>You say a header will give me marginally more power than a stock
>header what do you mean here. A header is better than stock?

Yes.

>ALso
>as for the loudness thats OK This is my fun car with an '84 GTI
>being my work everyday car. As for the extra heat same thing. Rust
>well I live in SC where it snows once about every 3 years and they
>never heard of road salt.
>
>I did get a TT catalog sent to me is the exhause info included in
>there? I hope so and I really wish more Companys had catalogs it is
>hard to decide what you want to get from small ads in EC.

My TT catalog is 3 years old.  The exact quote is "The difference in power
output between the best headers and the stock or EURO-manifold/TECHTONICS
TUNED downpipe combination is quite small."  The related text seems to talk
in terms of 8v engines.  Since you have a 16v, this may or may not apply.
Your catalog may have more recent information.  Did you get ""Amazing Dyno
Stories" with your catalog?