Re: Stalling update (or, I feel soooo stupid!!)

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Lisa & Rick wrote:

> Turns out that my problem is overheating, not fuel related.  In
> getting to know my new car (I call it my "pocket rocket") I was so

::snip::

I liked what someone else wrote here too... "Insanely fast go-cart"...
::huge grin::

> longer pushing the car off to the side of the road :)  I had the fuel
> pump and filter replaced under the recall, but I'm not about to turn
> off the heat and see the effect......I discovered the overheating a
> few days before the work was done and realized that the problem was
> not with the fuel system.

I'm having problems myself with my '85 8v fuel system, I think.. I know
the car's not overheating.. However the symptoms are similar. Idling in
hot weather makes the car tend to stall after accelerating hard and then
stopping quickly. The main fuel pump's a little noisy and more so when
this is happening.. I've replaced fuel filter and auxilary fuel pump
(The little one in the fuel gauge assembly) and these improved things slightly
but didn't fix the problem.. Could I have a blockage or should I just
replace the main pump? Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.. :)

> I need to sit down and read the FAQ about overheating and attack the
> cooling system.  I also need to get my hands on the Bentley manual.
> Thanks again for everyone's input.

I had to replace my radiator; although this may not be typical because
my car sat for 6 months at a time a couple times in its life.. Check the
stream running into the expansion tank when the car's running; it should
be healthy at anything above idle or you might have water pump problems..
You might also try flushing with a good flush..

> runs after they touched it.  Of course, since they worked on it the
> exhaust is rattling somewhere under the passenger compartment.
> If you want things done right.........

I've noticed the same thing lately and am convinced the converter inside has
shattered spraying little pieces of porcelain througout the muffler and
pipe behind it... It sounds like little pieces shaking when you shake the
exhaust...

John K. Gates - UNIX Systems Administrator
john@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~john
'85 8v Scirocco