Re: What do you think about this?

At 12:32 AM 8/2/96 -0400, scirocco-l@privateI.com wrote:

>Hello Scirocco Fans,
>        I just had some work done on my scirocco and my mechanic
>tells me that the down pipe is broken around the flex coupling. I
>have a few options.
>
>1. Do nothing, The car seems to run great now, but I am wondering
>Am I giving up performance that I don't know I am losing. The car
>seems fast to me but maybe I am not realizing the full potential?
>It seems that I probobly should be losing performance.

Do you really want that carbon monoxide exiting there?

>2. I see in EC that tectronics has a flex coupling repair kit, I
>guess that would also do the trick.

It is supposed to be less expensive than a replacement from VW.

>3. Tectronics also sells a downpipe without Cat. SInce Sc dosen't
>do emmissions testing I don't need a cat. This tectronics down pipe
>would give me more power than stock right? THis is a header.

Why not keep the car to keep the air clean?  What year is your car?  One of
the Scirocco manifolds (1984 for example is supposed to be one of the most
restrictive.  If you have this one, the manifold and down pile from
Techtonics will help you.)

>I need your suggestions on this and please fill me in on some
>things. WHat is the difference between a stock exhaust and a header?
> SOrry if this sounds stupid but I am just learning about the
>mechanics of a car.

The stock manifold is a cast iron unit.  Headers are usually made up of 4
individual tubes, one coming from each exhaust port.  According to the
Techtonic literaure (which you should get immediately to help you decide
which parts will help you and which parts are sold on hype alone) a header
will give marginally more power than a good stock header.  The downside is
that they are a bit louder, are thiner and therefore tend to crack or rust
and need more frequent replacement and some say they let more heat pass into
the car interior, a comfort item.  TT doesn't think the headers are really
worth it, unless you are racing and need that little extra bit of power.

Chris