Odd Noise on Passat

Hi Julie,
    Sorry for slow response and if I repeat earlier suggestions.
    Try to connect the noise to conditions; ie happens under load or deceleration or cruise, left or right, etc. Sounds like you've done a bit of that.
    CV's good? Wheel bearings good? Next I'd check suspension links for flex or damage; A-arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, that kinda stuff.
    Hmm... a shifting engine mount, perhaps?
    But first... you say:
> It didn't start till I removed the tire and put it back on. The disk does not have the screw to hold it in place and I had SOME trouble getting that tire back on.Could that be a problem as the axle seems solid when its jacked and I tried to rattle it....>

    I'd jack the car, rotate the wheel and see if it's sitting square on the hub. If there was "trouble" mounting it, it could possibly have bound up on some little metal ridge and be 'tight' but mounted off line, ie tilted on the hub. Look for gouges on inside of rim.

Karl
Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger?