Odd Noise on Passat

On 11:55 am 09/26/07 julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It didn't start till I removed the tire and put it back on. The disk
> does not have the screw to hold it in place and I had SOME trouble
> getting that tire back on. Could that be a problem as the axle seems
> solid when its jacked and I tried to rattle it....

Could be the brake disc lodged in a bit crooked when you bolted the wheel
up and freed that bit of clearance up as you drove it. Even a lot of crusty
corrosion on the disc or wheel can prevent proper torqueing. I'd jack that
corner up and redo that wheel, using a screwdriver into one of the bolt
holes to keep the disc in place. Gently tighten in a criscross fashion, and
when just shy of snug, give the thing a little wiggle to centre it well
before tightening it up. If the lack of a screw is going to be a PITA, then
maybe stud conversion will help keep the disc in place. And do these alloys
have hub centring rings (if aftermarket)? If not, they likely should. Oh,
and the bolts have the correct seat, right? (Stock wheels=acorn;
aftermarket=tapered usually)
cathy