Callaway Charge issues

So a Mk1 will not self excite?

I did run a dedicated ground to the battery.  I actually put jumper
cables on the battery negative and put the other end to various parts
of the alternator, block with no effect either way.

There is some homegrown rats nest bullshit near the positive.  There
is a some sort of spring type disconnect between the actual positive
terminal (I see them on Porches) twist it and it makes contact--that
kind of thing.  As well the positive itself to the alternator doesn't
look great so I will be fixing all that crap today and all of the
smaller auxillery power wires... (there seems to be about 8 of
them?!?) are put together with a few bolts holding the small lugs
together and alot of electrical tape.  Grrr.  I need to unfuck that.

So that is my project for the AM.  And oh yea blue wire.

Thanks all.