Nagging problems

On 9/12/07, Mark Chryssanthis <chryssmt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My '80 MK1's odometer hasn't worked for a long time.  I've seen this is a
> pretty common problem, and really need to tackle it.  I've seen
> fixes ranging from replacing the unit to glueing the gears.  The
> speedometer works great, and if I reset the odometer it ticks up to .9
> miles before it stops again.  I don't hear any audible "clicking".  Has
> anybody been successful in repairing this type of problem?  Can
> replacement gears be found?  I'm trying to keep her as original as
> possible.

Here is a tech on an S2 odometer , might be similar to the fix for your MK1
odometer.  Obviously the removal of the cluster is different.
http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/tech/Techtips/ATStechnotes/odometer/odometer.htm

Second ... I have a rattle underneath the car where the exhaust pipe rubs
> against the gas tank heat shield.  I see the whole pipe assembly
> "pivots" from the connection to the headers  is this normal?  I can pivot
> the pipe and it won't make the rattle sound for a few trips, then
> starts up again as it again rotates during normal driving ... never seen
> anything like this before.  Suggestions?

Make sure you have not lost any of your rubber donut exhaust hangers.  There
is usually one by the cat, one after the rear trailing arm and 2 for the
muffler but other locations could exist

'80 Scirocco
> '03 Jetta TDI Wagon
> '70 Buick GS

My dad had a Buick GS when I was little.  He still to this day regrets ever
selling it.  What a cool and rare muscle car.  All I remember is that it
was dark green, had an 8 track player and a big ass rear seat.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 5