Nagging problems

My '80 MK1's odometer hasn't worked for a long time.  I've seen this is a pretty common problem, and really need to tackle it.  I've seen
fixes ranging from replacing the unit to glueing the gears.  The speedometer works great, and if I reset the odometer it ticks up to .9
miles before it stops again.  I don't hear any audible "clicking".  Has anybody been successful in repairing this type of problem?  Can
replacement gears be found?  I'm trying to keep her as original as possible.

Second ... I have a rattle underneath the car where the exhaust pipe rubs against the gas tank heat shield.  I see the whole pipe assembly
"pivots" from the connection to the headers  is this normal?  I can pivot the pipe and it won't make the rattle sound for a few trips, then
starts up again as it again rotates during normal driving ... never seen anything like this before.  Suggestions?

'80 Scirocco
'03 Jetta TDI Wagon
'70 Buick GS