Nagging problems

> Has anybody been successful in repairing this type of problem?  Can
> replacement gears be found?  I'm trying to keep her as original as
> possible.

I repaired my odometer many years ago by opening it up and finding the
cracked plastic gear (one of them near the odometer number wheels).  I
initially tried gluing the gear but the lubricant/gear material did not
allow the glue to stick.  I ended up using a small split lock washer to
clamp around the gear and hold it in place around the metal shaft.  It has
held up ever since.  Sorry I can't be more specific as to which gear it was.
I did this in June 1986.  I also did not have a digital camera back then and
didn't think of taking "real" pictures.

> I have a rattle underneath the car where the exhaust pipe rubs
> against the gas tank heat shield.  I see the whole pipe assembly
> "pivots" from the connection to the headers is this normal?

I had a similar problem with my header setup.  My header utilizes a
swiveling ball between the collector and the cat.  It will twist due to the
weight of the system (even with the hanger intact at the cat).  I ended up
putting a U-bolt clamp at the first exhaust pipe bend, in front of the fuel
tank, and rigging up a hanger that attaches to the bolt that holds up one of
the gas tank straps.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck.

-Dick-