WAS: Alive but whining NOW: Mixed year car exhaust

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:05:55 -0700, Jacob Hawes
<gr8hunter1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Basically I know nothing about the difference between aluminized and
>stainless or what the available mufflers sound like. I'm going for quiet
>and unassuming, not HEAR I AM WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!!

The cat significantly reduces any "raspy" exhaust sounds, even when
gutted.  It functions as an expansion chamber, smoothing the exhaust
pulses from individual cylinders.  I can't comment on modern mufflers
as I've been running a Leistritz for the past 20+ years, but the
difference in sound with a straight "check pipe" versus a cat is very
noticeable.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9