TIG welder - this one big enough?

On 9/7/07, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks like Schedule 10 is a little over .100" thick. I know you definitely have to use flux or backside purge if it's .060 thick. OTOH, I tend to use a little more heat than I should. I imagine you'll have to do a test.
> If you cut everything to size then build it end to end you can apply the flux as you go.
> If you tack everything together then final weld it, it might be economically feasible to backside purge since you're effectively purging the whole inside of the manifold once for all the welds.

I was wondering what the best way of welding it would be.  I was
planning on tacking it all together, but for my first manifold it
might be better for me to weld it as I go so I can properly inspect
the inside of the welds to see if I should make any corrections to my
technique...   I'm worried about things moving with heat distortion,
but I guess anything can be corrected with some grinding and/or
additional welding if needed...

None of the books I have on welding give much insight to the actual
movements involved, so I've been checking out some YouTube videos of
people TIG'ing.  I've got a good grasp on the technical end of things
from the research and books I've read - now I need some hands-on
experience to *really* learn.  The videos definitely helped me
understand the interaction between the torch, puddle, and filler rod.
 Anyone know of a good instructional TIG welding video?

One question I have is when would 'pulsing' the pedal be necessary?  I
noticed some of the guys pulsing the pedal in some of the vids, but no
explanation why...

> > Bottles run $240 up here in Canada, which I can't justify at the
> > moment...  If I had a wife at home she'd have already killed me for
> > the money I've spent on this project!  One of the benefits of my
> > bachelor lifestyle I guess, but if I listen to my married friend's
> > whining they're not getting their dick sucked either, so I can't
> > complain.  At least I get to spend my money like an idiot without the
> > nagging...  :D
> >

> I can't believe this didn't get some backlash from somebody on the list!
> With that attitude, which I pretty much agree with,  I suspect you'll enjoy this:
> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3300741

Sometimes I forget there are ladies present...  ;)   I guess the
problem is that 'shop talk' doesn't always translate well in print,
since nuance and subtlety rarely come through...

Although I don't consider myself a pig or anything, for the most part
I post on the list like I would talk with my car-guy friends when
hanging out at the shop.  Something I wish more of you bastages would
do to lighten shit up once in a while!  Admit it guys, when there is
no estrogen present conversation is usually peppered with some
additional "color".   I pretty much consider any female on the list as
'one of the guys' anyways...  Besides, my VW hobby/obsession is
supposed to help me get in touch with my 'inner hairy man'.  How the
hell am I supposed to grunt, swear, and scratch myself properly in a
politically correct environment?  :D

Thanks for the link btw!   Funny shit...

Later,

Mark.
75
82