TIG welder - this one big enough?

From: "Mark F." <mk1mark@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: TIG welder - this one big enough?

> Thanks for the tip Dan!  I was considering getting my MIG bottle setup
> filled with argon as well, but Solar Flux sounds like a perfect
> solution!   You mention "thin sections" - is schedule 10 SS pipe
> considered thin?  It might be difficult to apply the Solar Flux when
> welding up my 'snake-style' turbo manifold...

Looks like Schedule 10 is a little over .100" thick. I know you definitely have to use flux or backside purge if it's .060 thick. OTOH, I tend to use a little more heat than I should. I imagine you'll have to do a test.
If you cut everything to size then build it end to end you can apply the flux as you go.
If you tack everything together then final weld it, it might be economically feasible to backside purge since you're effectively purging the whole inside of the manifold once for all the welds.

> Bottles run $240 up here in Canada, which I can't justify at the
> moment...  If I had a wife at home she'd have already killed me for
> the money I've spent on this project!  One of the benefits of my
> bachelor lifestyle I guess, but if I listen to my married friend's
> whining they're not getting their dick sucked either, so I can't
> complain.  At least I get to spend my money like an idiot without the
> nagging...  :D

I can't believe this didn't get some backlash from somebody on the list!
With that attitude, which I pretty much agree with,  I suspect you'll enjoy this:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3300741