Battery relocation

On 3:05 pm 09/07/07 Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  Moving the battery to the back actually increases the
> >  weight of your
> >  car when you consider all that extra (heavy) cable...
>
> Thank you, thank you.
>
> Why anyone would want to mount the battery in the trunk is
> beyond me.  Some say weight distribution, but with all the
> aforementioned cabling and a lightweight battery, what are
> you gaining?

Well, I did in fact have a Braille, it was fine for the first summer, but I
had issues with the terminals not staying screwed in tightly no matter what
I did. Then it got very low in the winter and froze, and never took a
charge again. After my excellent results with an Optima redtop in my daily
bug, I purchased one of them for Klaus and it's been great.
The reason for the relocation is to gain space in the engine bay. I'd gain
some with another tiny battery, but this gives me the option of having a
total battery failure on the road somewhere and tossing any old battery in
there to limp home on. Thanks so far to all those who have replied. It's
been good info so far!
cathy