OT: Media player?

I think what he actually wants is Start (or Control Panel / Add/Remove)
/ Set Program Access and Defaults / Choose a Default Media Player / WMP

That will make it go back to the way it was and you can just open DVDs
with VLC manually.  There is an Options panel in VLC where you should be
able to uncheck all file types but I use Miro vvv so I don't know where
to look.

For those of you with broadband, check out Miro.  It is built around VLC
(in Windows) and bitorrent.  Free and cross-platform Torrent TV! Almost
too much sometimes though.  It will also play and organize your movie
library if you don't want the channels content.
http://www.getmiro.com/