Thinking about buying a rocco 16v for a track car

<snip DocWyte>
I'd be using it as an HPDE and NASA Time trials car.  If I go wheel to
wheel, I'll probably build a Spec E30.  However, I don't have a truck or a
trailer, so the car has to remain street legal.  Some of the tracks are a
good distance away, so that means working AC and a radio are a must.  I'm
not driving from Denver to Salt Lake City in the summer without AC!

I'm not a novice driver, I instruct for several of the car clubs already.
While I'd love to have a porsche or M3 as a track car, it comes down to what
I'm willing to lose if I auger the car into a wall.
I'd rather write off a cheaper rocco than a $10k M3 or $15-20k Porsche.

The other car I'm considering is an E30 325is and E30 318is.  Obvious
advantages are rwd and a limited slip rear diff...
<end snip>

I'm not a big BMW fan, but it's hard to argue against the advantages of rwd
and lsd.  I understand that no BMW is cheap to fix, even the older ones.
That and their extra weight will eat up tires, brakes, and other consumables
faster.  What's a $15-20k Porsche these days?  A 964 or a 993?  If it's a
993, that's a big step up for the extra dollars.  Again, not cheap to fix,
but a hell of a ride.  If you're willing to go non-German and soft top, you
might want to consider an s2000 or spec Miata.  Both lend themselves to
tighter/curvy courses, although they can be a little frustrating on courses
with long straights.  Regardless, you're obviously coming to the table with
more experience than me.  Just my .02 based on talking to various drivers at
HPDEs I've attended.

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v

Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/4