Super easy 16v serpentine belt swap

On 10/23/07, Koabi Brooks <koabi.brooks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nice work, Mark.  Are 1Z motors easy to find?  I wish a serp setup would be
> able to fit AC as well.  I know for sure that the ABA belt setup with AC
> will not fit

The 1Z and AHU TDI engines are the same (both are of the older style
non-integrated waterpump design), so I know at least those
brackets/pulleys will work. You'll start to find some of the late A3
and early A4 TDI's in the wrecking yards as they're getting older, but
they'll never be as plentiful as the ABA's.  My guess is that the ABA
alternator bracket would work with the TDI pulleys though, so that's
another option.  The ABA bracket may suck the alternator in closer to
the block, since it doesn't need to make room for the diesel injection
pump, but I haven't compared them.

As for the A/C setup, the bracket I used has the bungs for the
compressor.  Does the ABA A/C compressor take up radiator real estate?
 The 82 doesn't have A/C, so I'm not going to worry about it now, but
my 82 Caddy mTDI project will be A/C.  Provided there's enough room to
physically fit (tape measurements seem to confirm it will in the
Caddy, but I'll know for sure in a few weeks), there are at least a
couple ways to deal with this.  One is to adapt the Scirocco/Rabbit
A/C compressor to the TDI bracket and serpentine pulley, and another
is to use the later serpentine A/C compressor and adapt the hoses to
it.  I haven't really investigated it beyond that however, but my
initial plan was to use the later system and adapt it to the early
hoses.  I used to be a supervisor at a local Imperial Eastman
hydraulic hose assembly plant that I still have 'access' to, so I'll
look into making a clean custom solution.  Got more serious work to do
on the project at the moment, but I'll be sure to share what I end up
doing with the list when the time comes...

Later,

Mark.
75
82