2L 16v engine work ok with (base) CIS?

    Just fixed my internet temporarily so I haven't been lurking for a few
days.  Just rebuilt my GLI and still have some bugs to work out.  The PL
head on the 9A block is nice but not what I was expecting.  I still haven't
put the knock sensors back on because they were totally rotted so I have to
pull the ones off of two of my parts cars.  The 8V's only have one sensor so
I'm going to have to pull them from two cars.  I'll then dip them and the
old ones from the 9A in that tool rubberizer stuff and put the two best ones
on my GLI and the crappy ones on my 8V's.  As for right now I'm running
without them.  From what I understand they're only used to retard the timing
to keep it in the right territory and aren't that intrusive otherwise.  I
might be wrong about that but I'm not really an engine electrics guru.  Did
you say your block is a 9A or ABA?  The PL head is rumored to flow better
unmodified then an unmodified 9A head.  As for the CIS, I don't actually
know as I haven't worked on 8V CIS much.  I might have a spare around here
as I've parted out a couple of cars and I'll take a look to see what's
different but I've been messing around with this stupid Fox and I think I've
tried swapping in all the different modules in there so they're probably all
useless at this point.  I'd be curious to know what happens in your
situation but I figure that most logically the newer engine would have more
sensors on it but the old computer wouldn't need them all.  Basically as
long as the block fits in the car the computer should find all the sensors
it's set up to use and the block shouldn't care either way as long as the
computer is happy.  That's a guess.

      Rave Racer
Current:
'91 Jetta GLI 2.0L 16V