From: Joe Mair <jmair@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: car <scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 8, 2007 12:32:19 PM
Subject: Steering or suspension problem

Ok, sorry for cross posting from Vortex, but I think I need the greater
Scirocco population on this.

As most of you probably know, I recently installed a new transmission
into my 87 16V. Meanwhile, in the last year I've replaced or installed
the following parts, at least on the front end:

R and L axle half shafts
Front calipers, pads and discs
All four engine mounts
New tie rods ass'y (p/s)
BBS G60 Corrado wheels, fresh tires, balanced
Full alignment

Front struts are Bilstein Sport paired with Neuspeed sport springs. They
have about 20K on the car, at most. I replace the strut bearings when
the suspension was replaced. I installed a strut tower brace right
before Cincy 07. Stock anti roll bars front and rear are still in place.

Now, here's my issue. I drove the car for about a week after the tranny
was installed with no problems, everything was great. Sometime on the
way home from work, about 7-10 days after install, something felt a
little "squirrelly." By that I mean that the steering gets a little
vague at speeds above 25 miles an hour. The "on-center" feel is most
definitely missing, and I feel like I have more play right and left than
I used to before the steering picks up.

At first, I thought I had hit a pothole good. The car was pulling
slightly to the left. So, the day before H2O, I took it in for an
alignment. Although it needed one, and the steering improved somewhat,
it still is not what I'm used to be.  Even though I just got an
alignment, I'm feeling a slight pull to the left while driving.  I let
my friend drive it over the weekend, as he is very famililar with VWs
and owns a Caddy. He noticed it right away, and described it similarly
to how I felt it.

For more background info, there's also been a slight "binding" off
center when you turn the wheel as well. I believe that is related to the
power steering assist. The pump was pretty cruddy last year, and it was
flushed several times in order to clean it out, but it's still notchy.
My hypothesis is power steering pump, but who knows.  Could the pump be
faking me out with lack of on-center feel?  I really don't want it to be
the rack because not only have I heard that it is a pain to replace a
power rack, but I also just sold the power rack that I had lying in my
basement for the past two years.  Wouldn't that just be a bitch.

I threw it up on jackstands yesterday and had a look at the front end in
general.  Control arms are fine, no bends, cracks or rust.  Anti-roll
bar looks securely mounted, though the bushings could probably be
replaced.  Not too bad, though.  Tie rod ass'y was replaced on the p/s,
but the d/s looks to be in fine shape.  I suppose I could go ahead and
just replace that while I'm at it, it's only $37 at GAP, after all, but
I don't know if that will fix my problem.

One other observation: When I jacked the car up and put it on
jackstands, with both sides jacked up equally, the p/s wheel hangs lower
under no weight than the d/s.  Is that just a function of the differing
lengths of the drive shafts or is this a clue as to my inherent
suspension or steering problems?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

DISCLAIMER: This message contains information which may be confidential and/or privileged, and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). Any use, disclosure or copying of this message or any part thereof by any person other than such addressee(s) is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the message. Thank you for your cooperation.