Proud American!

Maybe... descretion is the better form of valor.  At that point he was
trying to get out of there... when you pull down colors you bunch it
until you can properly fold it... you do not however let it touch the
ground.  You often see large flags balled to prevent them touching the
ground.

I think if the cameraman wasn't there we would read a story about a
vet killed during an altercation over a flag.