List dead? NOW: DD's

Cathy and Karl:
(sorry about the delayed response)
I agree with you both on this.  I drove my 85 beater (no longer have) to
Cincy, '06 and it was a blast.  No worries, just Scirocco fun.  Likewise
with the 4 or 5 beat up MKIs I've owned over the years.

I just can't bring myself to take a really nice one and expose it to the
elements and hazards out there.  Things were different for me 20 years ago,
but not that much.  There were more Sciroccos and they were going to last
longer, but I still liked a shiny, clean one!  I've watched the numbers
dwindle down so much over the years; every one is a treasure to me.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Krupke [mailto:kkrup62@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:03 AM
To: C Boyko; Jim Ruffi
Cc: scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: WAS: List dead? NOW: DD's

Hi Jim,
    Slow to respond, sorry. I'm trying to get caught up here.
    I have to agree with Cathy on this; with an '84, two '81s and a '79 in
the works, I still don't have a perfect, pristine, cherry Scirocco. And I'm
OK with that.
    My first Scirocco was a '79 bought in about 1984 or so, I think I put
about 120- 130k on that car before I sold it. Always enjoyable to drive,
almost always reliable; I still kick myself for selling it.
    Now that I'm back in Scirocco World, I like having cars that I don't
have to stress about... I'll be "restoring" two of the Mk1's and will
certainly maintain them as well as possible, but I think I'd be afraid to
drive something that I've got $25- 30k or so sunk into. Just waiting for the
first scratch or door ding, some moron in an SUV parking by ear...
    If I stumble across a 'mint' Mk1 and can afford it of course I'll jump
all over it, but on the stuff I've got I can drive them without breaking out
in a cold sweat every time I see "Student Driver" in my rearview mirror.

Karl