LSD: Home Made vs. Elsewhere (Experiences Wanted)

On Nov 13, 2007 9:29 AM,  <foxxinabox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   My understanding is that we all use it and some of us use it more than others.
>   From what I read, VW transmissions come with a 20% LSD from the factory.
> I'll be replacing the clutch in my '85 soon (it has a 9A transmission), I was
> thinking about throwing in a Peloquin kit. Is there a noticeable difference
> with the 40% and the 80% kit? Reason I'm thinking about throwing this in is
> because I plan on towing with the car and would like something more than "one
> wheel drive". Info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't even bother with the 40% (iirc they don't even offer it
anymore).  The 80% is somewhat noticable, but don't expect a dramatic
difference.  When hammering out of a tight corner you'll still get the
inside wheel to spin.  The only times I noticed it working was in
rain/slick conditions, and to (sometimes) avoid the one-wheel-peel (or
as my father-in-law used to say a "wheelbarrow burnout").

Basically a simple spring and shim won't do a hell of a lot to help
put torque down to the wheel with traction, but it's still better than
nothing...  As a rule I've installed one on all my winter cars, but
for the mTDI project I sprung for the real deal - a real Peloquin LSD.
 For less than $100 it's worth doing IMHO.  Not sure if it'll make any
difference for towing.  It might help with pulling off of a soft
shoulder or taking off on gravel...

Later,

Mark.
75