1976.5 vw super scirocco

> Real nice catch Neal! Will it be there for Cincy?

Thanks Julie! Sorry, but my mom's already kinda made that decision for me when she said she was going to be in town visiting that weekend. :-(

But this DOES raise the chances that I might make it next year. Still not sure what I'm going to do with the '77, but if turning it into a streetable monster doesn't pan out, I'll have another streetable car waiting for a nice engine swap. Katie already named it "Jekyl", and re-named the '77 "Hyde." The '77 was previously "Fragile'" (the Christmas Story pronunciation..."must be French!") for its horrible reliability record in '03-'04, but it has been so good for the past couple years it needed a new name anyway.

For those who might have been bidding against me, and are wondering: The "new" car needs a good bit of mechanical TLC (struts, wheel bearings, seats, various light bulbs, etc.), but it is in generally good condition and very driveable. But most importantly it is really sweet body-wise. Even better than the '77 was when I got it from Daun. There is literally the tiniest pin hole in the driver's side floor pan for some strange reason, but otherwise virtually NO RUST. Not even a blemish inside the wheel wells. Amazing what a no-sun, no-salt environment like Washington can do. And I didn't even have to dig the engine and transmission out of the trunk when I got it home like the '77. The winning bid seems like maybe a lot for a random 30 year old POS beater, but definitely worth it for anyone seeking an uber-clean, unmolested Mk1 Scirocco. I'm very happy!!

Already found some Corrado seats for it (ugly grey, unfortunately, but in great shape), dug out the Euro bumpers that weren't SCCA legal on the '77, and will be ordering some Konis and a bunch of maintenance parts in the next couple days. Give me a box full of new parts from Potterman and a free weekend, and this thing will be good to go for the rest of the summer.

So...what engine shall I drop in this winter? Should I just go cheap/easy with an ABA? Pull the 235whp Rotorcharged lump out of the '77? Maybe lose my mind and drop in a TDI? Drove it to work today. The 1.6 pulls "strong"...for a 1.6, I suppose. But perhaps I'm more than a little spoiled. And old points ignition and mechanical fuel injection just plain befuddle me...

Neal