The 9 lives of my black KATT

Gordy Stedman wrote:
> On 5/12/07, *Camron D. Crouse* <camron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:camron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Moral of the story?
>
>     If you are inexperienced but have high expectation for paint nonetheless
>     (like me), DON'T EVER PAINT YOUR OWN CAR IN YOUR GARAGE.  Why?
>
>     Cuz it sux.
>

> Why do you say that?  It looks like your paint job turned out great.
> Your car is like a mirror it is so shiny and I bet the costs were lower
> than even taking it to MAACO.  Plus when someone asks who painted your
> car you can tell them that no one but yourself did.
>
> Did you use the $50 roller paint job tactic?  If so what paint did you
> use and how thin did you make it?
>
> BTW your car looks hot even though the KITT paint scheme is not a
> favorite of mine :)  Good job man.
>
>     --
>     Gordy
>     MK1 x 5

Thanks for the kind words, but in truth the paint job is really only a
"5-footer" at best (8-footer, really), the photos hide a lot of little
things... but it does look 100% better than last year with failed
clearcoat.  I still have a little more polishing to do.  And YES, I
tried very, very hard to make the roller technique work;

<http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Camron/IMG_4294.JPG>
<http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Camron/IMG_4295.JPG>
<http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Camron/IMG_4299.JPG>

but I found that I could not meet all of the following conditions:

*Shiny, glossy finish
*Lack of "orange peel"
*Removal of all wetsanding scratches
*Removal of all dust nibs
*One uniform coat without sanding/polishing through to previous layer of
paint.

The solution to one problem - wetsanding to remove dust and orange peel
- leads to new problems - either I can't polish to a high gloss, or if I
do, I burn thru to the next layer, leaving ugly rings.  It becomes
maddening.

So in the end, even though there is still some light wetsanding, I had
decent results with a Costco HVLP gun:

<http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Camron/IMG_4332.JPG>
<http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Camron/IMG_4333.JPG>

The Interlux Brightside is about US$40/qt. at West Marine, and is very,
very glossy.  But if you thin it more than 10-15%, you'll experience
dieback (loss of gloss) as the paint dries.  That's part of why the
roller technique is so challenging, it requires very thin paint.

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L