Computer advice requested

Solid advice.

Don't go cheap now.

I am not personally a big fan of the toughbooks.  Most of the specs that
thing has are for military field use.  Way too much $ for what they offer in
my humble opinion.
I have always had really good luck with Toshiba.  I would argue that I
travel, bump, drop, spill whatever on the road than anyone on the list.
There is one I have been eyeballing for a while now.  Toshiba U205 I think.
It isn't a Ultra portable or anything like that but it's dual core, a gig of
ram, and one model has dual 120gb hard drives.  It's right around 1100 (US$)
It's pretty hard anymore to find a new laptop that doesn't at the very least
have a CD burner.  It's running about 50/50 on dvd burners...  My suggestion
would be to get a good laptop you like with an extended warranty.  I don't
own a home BUT my renter's insurance covers the laptop in case of damage,
theft, I decided to chuck it down a flight of stairs... whatever.  It's like
a $100 deductable.  I don't know if that kind of insurance is available up
in your neck of the woods or not.

Honestly if your Dell has stood up to the abuse you describe, I think
Toshiba (and definately Panasonic) is a step up on the durability ladder.
IBM/Leonovo Laptops are decent.  (Lance sells them BTW)  Stay away from
HP/Compaq if you can.   I bought one a few years ago cause I got a helluva
deal.  Never again.  From my personal experience as I mentioned above I am
getting on (average) 4-6 planes a week and flying different places.  Almost
every day I rent a car in a differnent city and I throw my laptop
bag(s--most of the time I carry two laptops) around alot.  I am constantly
throwing it in the passenger seat of rental cars, I have sent both flying on
seperate occasions as I was using them for GPS and some nitwit slammed
brakes in front of me.

Anyway all of the major manufacturers have a business class notebook that is
moderately priced and has all of the features you were looking for.

One last bit of advice.  INVEST in a good laptop bag.  Targus makes an
excellent backpack style.  (I actually have a couple flavors of these)  It's
easy to carry and has plenty of room.  My complaint from a "road warrior"
standpoint is that I have too much crap to carry and they are structured for
laptops not stuffing all the crap I do in them.

HTH
Chris