Computer advice requested

Since you said durability, I'd go the Panasonic Toughbook route.  The only task needing specific specs would be the digital darkroom
stuff, and for that I'd recommend 1gb of ram in whatever it is that you get.  Skip the 'cheap now, expensive later' idea and just
get a good toughbook right off the bat.  Modern laptops are powerful enough to double as desktop machines, at least for your
purposes.

Side note - invest in an external hard drive for backups - and USE IT for backups ONLY.  Never trust the system drive with the only
copy of your photos.

HTH
Al