Road trip preps

Daun Yeagley wrote:
> Ok, this is going to sound a little harsh, and for that I
> apologize.  But answer me this:  How long has this car been
> off the road, or are you currently daily driving it?
>
> If the answer to the second part of the question is no, and
> you have a month before taking off to the wilds of
> Alaska...  I would strongly encourage you to find / use a
> newer, more reliable car.  You would likely need to have
> your Scirocco up and running *now* to work out the
> inevitable bugs that it WILL have from sitting so long.
>
> Just going on plenty of past experience....

Car ran in early January which is when I discovered the electrical
gremlin involving the alternator ground. Since then it has been off the
road. I should have a grand or so by next week for a mechanic to get it
running and handle follow-up problems. The suspension I /can/ do and
save a little money if need be but the basic make ignition after 2-3
years of sitting with the occasional 5 minutes of combustion will be
left to the pro.

It does sound harsh but not too unexpected. The chance for another car
is near zilch and the backup plan is to fly up there and rely on the
lodge's shuttle service for the 2.5 hour trip into anchorage. Of course
this is if I get the job. If I don't I'll still need the car here. If I
get the job and the car is not reliable enough by may 1st then I'll go
to the backup plan and let the scirocco sit for the 4 months until I get
back and I'll need it then. So either way I want to give it my best try
at it.

--
	--Jacob Hawes
Cars: