Changing shocks

Allyn wrote:
>> Last weekend it took two people to reassemble a front strut.
>> This was with H & R springs which have a much shorter free
>> length than stock springs and can actually be done without a
>> spring compressor. One person (me) to apply his gross
>> tonnage, the other to center the shock shaft and get the nut started.
>> Please can we just skip the sexual innuendo of the above?
>> There was more than enough of that last weekend!
>
> This can be a one person job if you compress the spring with the strut back on the car, and a floor jack under the ball joint.  The
> jack/car applies the gross tonnage for you.
>
> Al

I was just about to wonder aloud about this method; two years ago I
borrowed a spring compressor from the guy at the local euro-FLAPS, but
while performing the strut/spring change (to Bilstein sports/HR Sports)
I  wondered why I couldn't just use the big jack to lift the car, then
my little jack to lift the A-arm to compress the spring, then R&R.

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
    '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L