Was: Changing shocks, Now: Cars trying to kill us

My first big project on my '84 (2 weeks after I got it, NO prior
knowledge of German goodness) was output flange seals.  I only had a
Haynes at the time.  Got the axles off, removed the center bolt, removed
the circlip (which seemed REALLY hard), and had a f*cking heart attack
when the flange came at my head (6" away, mind you) at supersonic speed.
  No one bothered to clue my in to the big-ass spring inside pushing out
serious forces on the flange.  Luckily it missed me (how, I have NO
idea), but it did pretty good dentage to the local chest freezer and
broke the glass in a picture frame sitting near by.
I went inside, changed my shorts, caught my breath, and got my dads
puller to reassemble and do the other side.
That thought still gives me chills....
Nate